Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Conquering the Pain!

After spending five days in Kampala I was very happy to get home!  I am VERY appreciative of the blessing of where I stayed!!! It was a LOVELY new boutique hotel just about a block from the Dr's Office where I went for traction treatments each day. It was cool, quiet and the staff were amazing! The food was great, too! I didn't do much or go out very often being that I had to swallow 10mg of Valium everyday! I hate that stuff!!! So, I'm very glad THAT is over! Update is that I have not experienced relief from the intermittent pain and after consultation with an orthopedic surgeon I will be on 8 weeks of home traction (20 min./day) and a stiff cervical collar all day long each day (except for sleeping, of course!) But, enough about that for now. 

When we arrived home yesterday the boys (Acacia had come with Geoff to pick me up!) were standing at attention at the front doors. They didn't break character of being waiters of a "sandwich parlor" and proceeded to serve us sandwiches and chips (which we had brought back from Kampala), took our drink orders and had the house equipped with signage for entrances and bathrooms!!! We had a lot of fun and I am so glad to be back home with the family!!!!

The boys standing at attention at the front doors of the "restaurant"



The spelling on this sign reveals the Ugandan/English influence our kids are under!!!



Truthfully, throughout the day I have fought with discouragement.  I want to get on with life without pain, decreased energy and limited mobility!!!!! This morning I read in, "Jesus Calling" a devotional book written by Sarah Young, some powerful words and I have carried them with me all day.  I intend to conquer this pain with JOY, HOPE and the truth that with God, NOTHING is impossible! I trust Him regardless of what the circumstances look like. Here is the quote from "Jesus Calling," "Come to Me with all your weaknesses: physical, emotional, and spiritual. Rest in the comfort of My Presence, remembering that NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE WITH ME. Pry your mind away from your problems so you can focus your attention on Me. Recall that I am able to do immeasurably more than all you ask or imagine. Instead of trying to direct Me to do this and that, seek to attune yourself to what I am already doing. When anxiety attempts to wedge its way into your thoughts, remind yourself that I am your Shepherd. The bottom line is that I am taking care of you; therefore, you needn't be afraid of anything. Rather than trying to maintain control over your life, abandon yourself to My will. Though this may feel frightening--even dangerous, the safest place to be is in My will. "(Luke 1:37; Ephesians 3:20-21 and Psalm 23:1-4).

Thank you for praying for me and with us. I am hopeful that this just a short time of struggle in a very long life!!!! (Plus, I think part of my being "down" today is that Valium can stay in your system for up to 80 hours!!!!! BANANGE!!!!!)

On a lighter note, we don't pick up the traction set-up and collar until either Friday or Monday. AND, we will spend the weekend celebrating Geoff's life and his 43 years!!!!!

1 comment:

Glenda said...

this is so cool Mary! I remember we used to always play restaraunt when we were little but I don't think we ever got clever enough to do signs...I especially love the figure drawings of the boy and girl for the restrooms. I will continue to pray for healing from your pain. Glad you are back home and hope this traction can give you some relief.