Thursday, April 2, 2009

"My Eggs are Scaring Me!"

I just read a friend's blog in which he shared something utterly cute that one of his grandkids said. It made me laugh and I got to thinking that I could probably fill some space with some of the crazy things my kids have said.

My blog title is not attributed to any of our three, but was just to draw you in. . . it was expressed quite a few years ago by the daughter of some Pepperdine friends, Ty and Kindy DeLong. I don't remember the context, but Geoff and i repeat that phrase to each other often when our kids come up with some doozies.

here are some of the doozies . . . I don't have space to share them ALL!!!!!
Two years ago, on the Sunday before Christmas, Geoff preached about the true meaning of Christmas. After presenting the truth of God's gift of Jesus, he commented on some of the other things people focus on instead: a good meal, lots of presents, etc. At that point Acacia, then 4 years old, leaned over to me and whispered in all seriousness, "It's about shoes, right?" This is from our daughter whose first five words included shoes and money! Oh my!

Acacia in her princess dress from her cousins, aunt and uncle!

From Kevin as he was running in the wind, "OOooooooooo, my hair is wiggling!!!"
From Acacia: "Jesus is underground." Mary: "Why do you say that?" Acacia:"Because He holds everything in His hand!"
From Kevin at naptime: "God said, 'Kevins don't need rests."
Last year Kevin and Acacia were sweeping and mopping the porch together. There had been leaky water balloons out there all night and the porch is always dirty in the morning. Geoff asked them how things were going as dirt was turning to mud and water was getting only moved around. Kevin replies, "I'm mostly getting something not done."

Once, when I asked Acacia the age of a young visitor, she got a scrunched searching look on her face and said, "I don't know her number."

After a family devotional on diligence, Toby announced he was going to go to his room to pray ten prayers. Once he'd finished five he said, "I think I'll take a break . . . NO! I'm going to be diligent and finish!" He kept us up-to-date as he prayed, "I'm on my 6th . . . my 7th . . . my 8th . . ." Then he checked on Acacia who was still in her room. "Are you still praying?" he asked, "No, I just prayed one prayer," she replied. "ALL THIS TIME???" Toby was bewildered. "No, I had to organize my bag!" she shot back.
Acacia, totally unprompted, I PROMISE, once said, "MOM! Why do girls always seem to know things and boys don't?"
Kevin is quite the artist. This is a "magna doodle" board in which he created a leopard. pretty cool.
Which reminds me of our Christmas conversation a couple of years ago when we asked the kids who was taking care of the sheep in the hills when the angels appeared. They all answered, "a leopard."
Here's an excerpt from math class at school. I was trying to teach Toby subtraction with big numbers. I presented him with this word problem because we were studying the Titanic. "2 227 people are on board the Titanic. There are enough lifeboats for 1,100. Stack your numbers for a subtraction problem to show how many will not get into the boats." He couldn't quite grasp it so I rephrased it as follows "So, Toby there are 2, 227 people on board, but only enough space in lifeboats for 1,100. WHAT do we need to find?" He says, "More lifeboats!"
Toby's tongue sticks out when he is concentrating!
Kevin, "Who will be my wife?" Acacia:"God has to plan it."

Kevin: "So, are we gonna be dead for the rest of the days?" Geoff: "Well what do you mean? Kevin: "You know like when we go to heaven" Toby:" Well, your body will be dead, but your spirit will be alive." Kevin:"So, I don't get it. Are we lying down or what?"

Quizzing the kids at supper time on the days school topics, "So, what comes after the Stone Age?" Toby: "Middle Age?"
Kevin: "Mom! When I shake my head really fast, my lips are extremely heavy!"




Ahhhh . . . the quieter moments when their brains are reloading!!! (This pic is not from 2003-the camera date was wrong)

One night I was reading a story to Toby when I realized he was intently looking at something. I asked, "What are you looking at?" He replied, "You, cause I think you're beautiful!" wow.

Aren't kids wonderful?? And funny??? And amazing creations???? Thank you GOD!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This made me smile! I have some more at the back of my mind but all that springs to mind at the moment is Toby and the woman-eyes..... That and Joel and Mo with the dinosaur biology and the big bottoms being a toilet safety blessing....

Janice Speaks said...

I laughed so hard I cried. Thanks for keeping us so close to the kids.

Glenda said...

some of these were new to me some I had already heard but they are still hilarious the second time around!!!

Beto and Laura Perez Speaks said...

i also remember another kevin quote...last time we were all at laguna, your kids were eating on the porch outside mom and dad{s room. you get out there and the kids are arguing about something, and acacia and toby were sort of ganging up on him, and he says, [gosh guys, BAME ME![