Thursday, November 28, 2013

Why we do what we do...


Yes another blog, that's 2 in less than 24 hours :-)  This is now Geoff...

Have you ever wondered why you do what you do?  What is your work really about, why do you live and what is your purpose?  After returning to Uganda one month ago we have had many varied experiences, some good and some disappointing.

Each time we’ve left Uganda for a season our return has brought some areas of disappointment.  For instance, things for which I (Geoff) have been responsible are found in poor shape or even not working at all.  I have seen entire areas completely fall apart and even some people I’ve walked closely with falling into sin and walking away from God.  This recent season has been no different. During our time in the states there are a number of areas I left when they were moving along well that seem to be struggling as we’ve come back.  Some systems I put in place are no longer working and profits we were seeing are no longer coming in.  There are certainly a variety of frustrations.  If I am not careful I end up asking destructive questions and feeling that all I have been doing is for not.  But, the past two days have helped me to settle some of those questions. These past two days have been a reminder of why we do what we do.  

Monday one of my sons came in the evening for a quick visit and to pick up his goat.  Some of you have heard us talk of Kambo.  He came to the ministry in 2007 as a student at the vocational school and I quickly found I loved him.  He has proven to be one of the hardest workers I have ever met and is so sensitive to the Spirit of God.  He loves to serve and always keeps you in smiles.  Our goat that was given to me a couple of years ago, was actually given to me by his father.  Somewhere in the blog archives you can find the story of “The Holy Goat.” Last year about this time, Holy produced her first baby. “Kili” (pronounced chili) or Kilabo (which in Luganda means gift) is now grown.  I was finding it difficult to have 2 goats around especially since Holy is now pregnant again. So, I called Kambo and told him that I wanted to give him that first born goat.  Since his dad gave me the mom I thought the first fruits should stay in the family.  Well now this short story is getting long . . .  Last night Kambo came over, and as we handed the goat over to him I had a feeling of great satisfaction.  Six years ago I found a young man whose opportunities in life were severely limited, an 8th grade education and little hope of having any productive future.  Today I see a young man who is a fully trained and working builder, a servant of God who loves Christ and who is full of hope.  His work ethic coupled with the skills he learned at NHVI and his faith in God have opened up many doors for productivity and prosperity in his life.  This goat may even prove to be one of the items that he uses to pay the bride price when he is ready to marry :-) And he often shares with me and others how he praises God for how far God has brought him.  

On Tuesday another young man with whom we have had close relationship over the years came to deliver a carpentry job that he completed for us.  As we were talking he began to open up his heart and share with us some of his thoughts.  He expressed how when he is at home alone he often thinks about how far God has brought him.  Ssenyondo came to NHVI also six years ago as a homeless young man who really had no hope of anything.  He had dropped out of school after 6th grade and spent most of his time using drugs and just idling with his friends.  To tell you the truth I never believed he would finish the program and graduate with carpentry skills because he would come late or not at all. He even came stoned a number of times.  Yet over the 2 1/2 years he was a student at NHVI God really worked in his life.  Over time he started coming more consistently, he began to listen closely to the devotions and actually take the counsel that was being offered to him.  At his graduation he testified, hands shaking that God does miracles and he was the proof.  Again, my story is growing long.  Today when he came over he began telling us how when he is alone and thinks about where God has brought him he often thinks of us and prays for us.  He began to talk about how he feels he can never repay us for what we have done in his life and so he just prays for us.  We had a great time sharing with him how it wasn’t really us but it was God who did the great work.  And how none of us can repay God for what He does in our lives, but that we should live for Him, giving Him all of our hearts.  

These are the reminders for me of why we do what we do.  The hearts of men deeply need acceptance and to know the love of Christ. There is nothing greater for me than when God uses us to lead others to that place.



1 comment:

Beto and Laura Perez Speaks said...

Geoffy, you are a great writer. Don't apologize for "telling a long story". It didn't seem too long and it's very encouraging. Praise God that you can now start to see fruit in these young men's lives. We miss you guys but are happy to share you over there! Love you