Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The privilege of helping out

White socks, black flip flops, orange flower placed in hair, shiny belt . . . No, I am not describing some eccentric Aunt.  

Today I had the privilege of helping sponsorship coordinator Jill Pogmore and IY participant Nabukeera photograph about 180 primary school students for their annual sponsorship photo.  As roughly 20 children per class stood to capture their images for their sponsor, Nabukeera kept them in order while Aunt Jill directed them into the best light and I wrote down quick, minimal word descriptions to aid the sponsorship department in identifying the 180+ photographs later next week.

Starting with the very youngest and moving on to the upper levels, we noticed a change in behavior as groups waited their turn. Shy, quiet younger children’s classes gave way to the joking antics and self-conscious stances of young teenagers. As I led the classes, one by one, in single file lines I directed them to follow me--both in direction and behavior. I’d raise one arm and then pump it up and down, hop on my right foot, hop on my left foot, wave with both arms in the air--anything to keep them quickly following and interested in the annual photo session. By the giggles and exaggerated movements that followed me across the primary school compound,  I think my weirdness succeeded in making it a fun hour and a half out of the morning.
If you sponsor a child here at New Hope you will recognize this as a great example of a sponsorship photo of one of our children. Thank you for your loving interaction with your sponsored child through prayers, letters and financial support! If you don't currently sponsor a child here at New Hope I pray that you would consider doing so, as I know both you and the child will enjoy the relationship formed over the years!

Meanwhile, Acacia and Kevin were hard at work over on the secondary side in their own classes with Auntie Danette and their fellow students.  (Toby is participating in P7 week this week.) Not being their teacher has ups and downs. At times during this past month I have missed being “in their business” (educationally--of course I’m still in their business in every other way!) I’ve missed being there as they understand new concepts and master new abilities, but I ‘m thankful that by not being involved in their schooling throughout each day I have the privilege of interacting with more of the New Hope children and to help out like I did this morning with the sponsorship photos. 


No comments: