Sunday, June 2, 2013

Tomorrow is the day...


Well, tomorrow is the day, chemo day 1...Many questions linger around the chemo and how I will react.  Earlier in the journey I spent time focusing on what to do or not to do in order to lessen the effect of the chemicals on my body.  There are thousands of ideas out there surrounding diet, exercise, supplements and so forth--a guy could really be confused.  Who is right?  Which voice do I listen to?  Well, this week as I was recovering from the insertion of the porta-cath I was reminded of a scripture that I had been confessing earlier on in this battle... 

Psalm 33:16-19 - The king is not saved by his great army; a warrior is not delivered by his great strength. The war horse is a false hope for salvation, and by its great might it cannot rescue. Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear him, on those who hope in his steadfast love, that he may deliver their soul from death and keep them alive in famine.

In reality it does not matter what other peoples’ experience has been.  My life is not determined by what others pass thru nor is my hope in the wisdom of man.  Our doctors are great and I am very thankful for them, but if my hope is tied up in them then I have a false hope.  My hope is in the steadfast love of God, He is the one that will deliver my soul and preserve my life.  

It’s not that I had forgotten this but my mind had drifted and my focus caught by other things.  Very easy to do in life, not just a battle with cancer.  The Apostle Paul encourages us in 2 Corinthians chapter 10 that much of our spiritual battle takes place in our minds, the strongholds or thoughts that exalt themselves against the knowledge of God.  We need to take those thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ and His word.  I thank God for His word and all my friends that are encouraging me with different  scriptures, I even have one that sends an email every day with a different faith-filled scripture to encourage me.  I have said this before, but I will say it again, my destiny is tied up in God and His plan for me and my existence is to bring Him glory.  May tomorrow be filled with the glory of God.

Psalm 138:7-8 - Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life; you stretch out your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and your right hand delivers me. The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me; your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever. Do not forsake the work of your hands. 


3 comments:

Amy said...

Ah! I was SO EXCITED when I saw the scripture you had posted because when I was going through the darkest battle of my entire life a few years ago, God had spoken to me, I mean those scriptures POPPED out, 2 or 3 of them on horses. I was certainly perplexed until wiser people than I pointed out that God was trying to tell me my hope was in nothing *I* could do but it was going to be ALL GOD. I was trying so hard in my own strength, always wondering what thing I could try or do next.

So when you spoke about what things you could do to lessen the effects, etc...and then that scripture I was excited because now you know God IS going to be the one doing all the work-which means He DOES intend to work His miraculous works on you! That is such a comfort to me as I have been praying for you every single day. Isn't it wonderful that the God of Heaven and earth knows our thoughts before we even think them or pray them and our lives are in His LOVING hands! We will continue praying for you Geofff. Much love.

Beto and Laura Perez Speaks said...

Great post and great verses. you are right. God's given you that wisdom and He will certainly be very near to you in this as always. Love you guys

gwp0131 said...

Prayin' for you bro!