Monday, June 10, 2013

My ramblings...


Where to begin, this is always the hardest part of writing for me, beginning.  The past few days have been filled with great exultation, is that the right word? Not sure, but I can’t help but praise God today.  If I could climb up onto the roof top and shout His greatness I would do it, though in today’s time I might end up arrested :-)  So just read this loudly with me.

Psalm 149:1-6 Praise the Lord!  Sing to the Lord a new song, his praise in the assembly of the godly!  Let Israel be glad in his Maker; let the children of Zion rejoice in their King! Let them praise his name with dancing, making melody to him with tambourine and lyre! For the Lord takes pleasure in his people; he adorns the humble with salvation. Let the godly exult in glory; let them sing for joy on their beds. Let the high praises of God be in their throats 
and two-edged swords in their hands, 

Beginning yesterday morning, well actually for some time, but especially yesterday, I have been humbled to the point of tears over God’s goodness.  I spent a lot of time reflecting on the state of my life and the current events, looking at my family, both American and Ugandan.  Praying for grace, healing and asking the question, “what is next?”  One thing I have known and again purposed is that my family and my purpose is to bring glory to God while we are here on this earth.  God’s sovereign grace and great love for His people caused Him to choose me for His service.  

But over the past few days I can’t help but recognize how involved God has been in my life.  Many believers are nothing more than passive agnostics, believing in God, but believing He is far away or way too busy to be concerned with their lives or affairs.  As I spend time reading and meditating God’s word, it is hard to understand how any of us can come to that conclusion.  We continually read of his power working in people’s lives to bring them healing, salvation, instituting maturity and interacting with them on a personal basis.  Think of Zacchaeus, this wee little man, a sinner, tax collector presumably no significance in God’s kingdom.  Yet Jesus came upon him, recognized him by name and went to have fellowship with him.  Or Simon Peter, no education a mere fisherman struggling to survive.  Jesus choose him to be one of his original apostles.  Spending the next 3 1/2 years walking, talking and teaching him the important things of the Kingdom of God, turning the world upside down through him. 

As I look at my life I can’t help but feel similar, who am I God?  Uncle Jonnes preached a message last year called “Nze Ani?” (who am I?)  The message truly impacted me, thank you Mze.  And honestly compared to the magnificence of God, the one who created the universe my life seems so in-significant.  Yet He continues to pour out His goodness, revealing to me His love and the fact that He has a plan for me and my family.  

One thing that I have had time to contemplate was how things have truly transpired over the past 18 months.  It may be hard for you not sitting in my shoes to see it but let me try and paint a picture for you.  Last January God began speaking to me about abundance, those of you who follow this blog might remember a post on January 1st, here is the link if you choose to read again.  


What I did not know at that time was this was the beginning of a journey that we are still on.  The very message God gave me about His abundant provision wether in times of struggle or great victory is much of what is speaking to me today.  It was then a couple of weeks later during our annual envisioning time that God spoke to me a very clear and distinct word during worship one day.  Initially it is not the kind of word that sounds encouraging but with understanding it is freeing.  He told me “Geoff, you own nothing and everything you have was given to you”  For us as Americans who are into amassing our wealth, the idea of owning nothing makes you a popper, some one completely of no significance.  But in a Kingdom perspective, my father, The King of Kings owns everything and freely gives to His children thus freeing me of that burden.  

A few months later the latest word of direction came during prayer, “Change was coming”.  Wow, what did that mean?  Was He calling us back to the U.S.? What did it mean?  Actually this word brought more fear to my heart because you know I am the kind of guy that likes to know what is happening.  It was during the time of seeking that Jay Dangers approached me about a job change for me moving into the area of spiritual development and the manhood program.

But that’s not all, Mary and I both were feeling that we really did not want to come back for this furlough, we just weren’t ready.  God was moving, relationships were growing and we were all very healthy spiritually, coming to the states did not seem necessary.  But as God is good and promises to lead us as a shepherd does his sheep He encouraged us both that His timing was right and we were to come.  Obviously we can now see the importance of being stateside with a diagnosis of lymphoma.  He knew what we needed and was orchestrating our lives with great care and precision.  

Jumping to the current status of our lives I look at the complexity of the things that have come together over the past few months and it is amazing.  This house we live in was specially prepared for this season in our lives, the timing, the amenities, the location, it was prepared for us.  We have had an abundance of finances provided for our survival, furniture that covers all our needs, a vehicle, great doctors, fellowship...I could go on and on it’s amazing no lack!

Back in March a friend of ours was woken up with a dream that he knew had to be for us and so he took the time to write it out and share it with me.  Without going into detail of the dream, I knew it had significance yet was not sure exactly how.  Well yesterday I felt during my time with the Lord, God was encouraging me again from that dream as well as the previous words He had given.  I have been reading through the minor prophets as part of daily reading, yesterday I came to Haggai and made some connection.  

Haggai 2:8-9 - The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, declares the Lord of hosts.  The latter glory of this house shall be greater than the former, says the Lord of hosts. And in this place I will give peace, declares the Lord of hosts.’ ” 

You remember the word about how I owned nothing, that everything I had was given to me.  Life, health, family, possessions, you name it given to me.  Well as God reminded me in this passage, it is His and He is the one leading me, guiding me and perfecting the things of my life.  The dream had to do with a ricky machine that I was working hard to keep running yet in the end God came in to transform it to a glorious state.  And just like the passage in Haggai God is transforming me.

Truly this season is one of trying, testing but also purifying.  God is using things in my life, circumstances, words to transform me into the man he wants me to be.  My life is not my own and the joy in that is it belongs to Him.  I don’t need to strive in my efforts to succeed, to please Him or to make a way for me or my family.  My job and duty is to submit to the Lord who cares for me.  

1 Peter 5:7 - ...casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.

My prayer is that through my journey God will be glorified.  That His name shall be lifted up for all to see His goodness.  And that many of those who struggle with trusting His plan for their lives can find the encouragement to release control, throw them selves upon the mercy of God and allow Him to fully be God to them.  The complexity of God is often far beyond our ability to understand, he tells us that in His word.  Our job is not to try and figure out God’s plan but to commit ourselves, our lives to faith.  Trusting that God is good and allowing Him to work in our lives, leading us guiding us and as He promises caring for us.  

Isaiah 55:8-9 - For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Seeing how God has walked with me, led me and has a plan for my life, how can I do anything but trust that he will continue.  God is healing me of cancer and I rejoice that I will live to testify of the great things He has done.

Psalm 118:17 - I shall not die, but I shall live, and recount the deeds of the Lord.

This picture really speaks of the complexity yet the beauty we find in God.  ENJOY


1 comment:

Toby G said...

Hi nice readinng your blog