Friday, July 3, 2009

I'M HOME!!!!!!!!



My Mom and I at LAX just before I disappeared around a corner to join a long line for security.
Ahhhhhhh . . . I’m home! I love where I am, with my kids and my husband and all the other wonderful people here at New Hope. We returned to Kasana on Wednesday during a torrential rain storm, so there was not the usual mob of greeters there to meet us. In fact, only one of our David family daughters came to give and get hugs during the first 2 hours after we arrived. By the time the rain let up, I was beyond anxious to get over and see everyone at David family. My favorite “hello” was the pint-sized Dodovico, who bounded toward me as I walked into their compound. He squealed, “AUNTIE MARY, AUNTIE MARY,” and didn’t hold back anything as he hugged me tight, though he was covered with mud from working in the garden. Muddy hugs are the stuff of bountiful life!!! What an immense joy to receive the welcome and bright smiles from the kids—I was blessed. But even more moving than all that was the letter I received from a daughter whom I’ve been mentoring for the past 3 years. She took time to write a welcome note that reveals her deepening understanding that God is our strength through all of life. I was beaming when I read it and I want to share it with you . . . “WELCOME BACK AUNTIE MARY. It is a pity, but we pray that God may give you peace and hope. Auntie Mary you are a blessing. We have been missing you so much, we are happy that you are back. Auntie Mary, this day is sacred to our Lord, ‘Do not grieve for the joy of the Lord is your strength.’
Psalm 199:43, ‘Do not snatch the word of truth from my mouth for I have put my hope in your law.’
Auntie Mary I love you.
Please be blessed in whatever you are going to do this year and years to come. Auntie Mary, Thank you for being strong in the word of God and your loving heart, ‘who comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.’ God cares for us in everything, just trust Him please!!” What a lettter from a girl that would not talk to us or look us in the eye the first few months we lived here! She comes from a strong muslim family, but has placed her life in the hands of God who sent His son to pay for our sins and give us REAL life! What a change!!
There is nothing that can steal the peace I have in God through anything that comes. I am thankful that Geoff and I and the kids are home here!
Jerry and Dortha (Geoff’s parents) came to Long Beach to the memorial service for my Dad. Jerry began to ask when I would be returning “home,” and tried to stop himself from saying that “home” was Uganda, but then released himself to the reality that our “home” truly is here.
Thank you God for the truth that wherever we are, we are with YOU.

1 comment:

Beto and Laura Perez Speaks said...

i just want to know what the fam thought of your new do?!