Monday, July 22, 2013

"24!" by Mary


Twice lately when asked my age by a medical professional I’ve answered (without hesitation I might add), “Twenty-four.” And they’ve bought it. 

Now, I might also want to put in for my defense here that both times I’ve answered in utmost honesty. Which is to say, I was having a most glorious and apparently advantageous “senior moment.” Such that when I’ve said, “Twenty-four,” I’ve answered truthfully--and then I realize what I’ve said and how they’ve swallowed the information whole, and I laugh out loud in their presence and tell them I’m really 49.

At this juncture, it might also be helpful to fully disclose that both of these occurrences have been in dreams! 

I suppose it’s obvious that this recurrent dream is the frantic effort of my subconscious to eke out as much of my remaining 40s as possible before they give up the ghost in October to the next decade.

Oh, for crying out loud, “I AM going to be 50???” That age is for other people, not me! HA!

Yet,  as much as I recall these dreams and laugh I also am drawn in all reverence to THE WORD on the subject of the essence of who we are. I Corinthians 4:16 “Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.”  AMEN! 

Passing through this “cancer affliction” with Geoff, there have been a few times over the past months in which his appearance and frame have shown the signs of wear. (He is finally gaining his weight back and is only one pound from the weight he’s weighed for the past 25 years!)  However, in tandem with glimpses caught of his frailty are glimpses of the strength and never-ending source of deliverance and glory of the LORD God.

And as I catch glimpses of the aging process each morning in the mirror, I am anchored by Psalm 34 and believe it to be one of the great insulators against “ugly aging.” Ugly aging? That is aging brought on by an intense focus on the created in the mirror rather than the Creator who gives Real life--and a far more eternal weight of glory!

Psalm 34 says much to how we secure our rest and contentment in Him; which I believe brings true peace, joy, strength and perhaps even fewer wrinkles to life.  

“I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul shall make its boast in the LORD; the humble shall hear of it and be glad. Oh, magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt His name together. I sought the LORD, and He heard me, and delivered me from all me fears. They looked to Him and were radiant. And their faces were not ashamed. This poor man cried out, and the LORD heard him and saved him out of all his troubles. The angel of the LORD encamps all around those who fear Him, and delivers them. Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who trusts in Him! Oh, fear the LORD, you His saints! There is no want to those who fear Him. They young lions lack and suffer hunger; but those who seek the LORD shall not lack any good thing. Come, you children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD. Who is the man who desires life, and loves many days, that he may see good? Keep your tongue from evil, and your lips from speaking deceit. Depart from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it. The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous, and His ears are open to their cry. The face of the LORD is against those who do evil, to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth. They righteous cry out, and LORD hears, and delivers them out of all their troubles. The LORD is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the LORD delivers him out of them all. He guards all his bones; not one of them is broken. Evil shall slay the wicked, and those who hate the righteous shall be condemned. The LORD redeems the soul of His servants, and none of those who trust in Him shall be condemned.”

So, praising Him, calling out to Him, trusting Him, and choosing to live according to His ways in all circumstances brings an audience with the Almighty God and subsequent deliverance from condemnation and an abundance from which to draw each breath! “Seek peace and pursue it.” Ultimately, seek peace with the One who created you and who sustains you.

“Even to your old age, I am He, and even to gray hairs I will carry you! I have made, and I will bear; Even I will carry, and will deliver you.”  Isaiah 46:4

Praise the LORD!!!
I share this random picture from earlier this year because I love that it speaks of God's detailed involvement in our lives. We were blessed to attend the HIM conference in Honolulu in March and we met so many amazing people, including Poet Shawn Welcome, pictured here. Geoff was dealing with intense pain from the cancer at this point, even though we didn't know yet that it was cancer. God kept him going and continues to sustain him even now!

No comments: