Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Whizzer


The Whizzer

We’ve lived in Uganda and worked with New Hope Uganda Children’s Centre for more than six years now. Our experiences with culture are “interestingly” varied to say the least.  

Stories? We could tell them! 

But, one of my favorite memories has nothing to do with an embarrassing moment as a result of my American culture smacking the Ugandan culture, yet I would not be telling this story if it were not for our presence at New Hope. 

With the wide variety of westerners that come to be a part of the work here, we have many more opportunities for cultural shockers to be sure than if we were the only westerners among the nationals. 

One of our very favorite families in the whole world (and we’ve seen a fair piece of it) are the Brown’s who hail from Derby, ENGLAND. Steve is quite proud of being ENGLISH which I why I labor to make the point that they are from England, rather than saying they are from the UK. (For the Americans in the readership, sorry if you slept through geography class, but I am not going to further explain that--wikipedia is easily accessible.)

Steve and Kathryn have been involved with the early adulthood programs during the time they’ve been with New Hope and yearly organize for the investment year kids a ”business” dinner in which business decorum and presence is taught in preparation for any future interviews, etc., in which the kids may find themselves. 

About five years ago I was in my kitchen on the day the dinner was to be held when Steve came reeling through in a massive rush and hollered in my general direction about whether or not I could help him with a whizzer. I laughed in his face and gave him a quizzical look. He said, “You know, a whizzer? What do YOU call it?”  And I’m thinking to myself, “I don’t know, because I have NO idea what you’re talking about.” He continued, “You know, that thing that (and he made whirring noises with his mouth and spun his hands around in a tight circle) well, WHIZZES things--uh, mixing them together. . .”  I answered, still laughing, “well, when you say a WHIZZER all I can think of is a little boy peeing on the wall out behind the house (!) and I’m SURE that is not what you’re looking for!!” Then, he laughed at me and tried to explain again! And suddenly it dawned on me, “OH, A BLENDER!!!” I was so proud of myself for figuring it out! For crying out loud, forget the misunderstandings I run into with Luganda, the differences between American English and British English are enough to fill my days with confusion!

Cut to a recent conversation between Geoff and me.  He said, “I feel like I’ve been through the whizzer!” and I immediately understood this time. But, why would he say whizzer and not blender? Because we’ve adapted, that’s why. Everyday we adapt, we morph, we bend & get squeezed and for the most part, it’s a great adventure. 

But, when he said he felt like he’d been through the whizzer it wasn’t with a smile on his face. The schedule of late has been constant. Special events, extra meetings, preparations, outreaches, vehicle sales, personnel conflicts, village visits, deadlines, special orders, new contracts, a new household member, extra guests for dinner, business in Kampala, community conflict, start of a new school term, police arresting a worker, business arrangements for materials to come from Kenya for a certain project, older children coming and going because of new internship assignments, and gardens needing to be prepared, planted and then weeded!  I could go on.  I won’t, lest I cause you to feel that you’ve been through the whizzer.

Thank you for your prayers, because for the most part what we do is truly a great adventure, but a bit of extra stamina is needed at present!  Prayer is powerful. The prayer of the righteous is powerful and effective. So, thank you!

And, since laughter is good medicine, let me leave you with another confusing little exchange between said Mr. Brown and myself. 

Another event headed by Steve is P7 week in which the students in the final year of primary school take a week off of their studies and engage in relationship building activities and FUN.  There are competitions, contests, games, movies, baking, special meals, outreach and even a chance for them to learn line dancing! 

Steve and Kathryn surrounded by friends (as usual!)
Coming upon P7 week a couple years back, Steve approached me and asked if I would consider doing the “bacon” with the kids again. I was totally thrown off and had NO IDEA what he was talking about. But, being that Steve is a TALKER I decided to just keep listening in hopes that at some point I’d be on board with what he was wanting. All the while I’m thinking to myself, “I don’t remember ever doing anything with meat, pork/bacon or otherwise during P7 week” but  . . .  I kept listening, “uh huh, hmmm, ok.” Finally, I get it, “OH, THE BAKING! Yeah, I’d be happy to teach a group of P7s some baking skills.” He looks at me, “yeah, the bacon, that’s what I’ve been talking about, what did you think I meant?” That accent, it still gets me sometimes!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Pretty hilarious post! Just don't put the bacon through the wizzer.

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.