Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Just words

What can be said about life the past few months? Well a lot! I have really seen the joy of ministering in Africa, but also have felt some struggle and disappointments. At times the work never seems to let up and that is where the joy comes from it also leads to weariness and disappointments. There have been many times that I have rejoiced at the opportunities God has given us as a family here in Uganda and I still stand on the fact that we have seen and been involved in more day to day ministering of God’s love than I could ever imagine. But that very joy also at times leaves us with a degree of tension over the continual demand that is put on us.

The past three weeks we sent our manager and Ugandan founder off the U.S. for a fundraising tour, which left me (Geoff) as the acting manager. Add that to my usual schedule and preaching a couple of times in the month of February, I feel I needed a bit of a break. So Sunday morning we stayed home from church, prayed together as a family then set down and played “The Farming Game”. Oh to enjoy the simple life as a farmer, cows, wheat, hey and such… I think somewhere I was born in the wrong time as I love the idea of farming. Actually here in Uganda I have begun developing more land for our personal support. I have majored in Matooke which is the banana here in Uganda that you steam and eat like mashed potatoes. But additionally we are planting sweet potatoes, beans, green peppers, onions, tomatoes, carrots, greens and some other miscellaneous vegetables. The rains have finally arrived, actually about two weeks late but we are rejoicing as water is life here in Africa. I find peace and solitude in the garden as it seems to provide relief from the daily stress of ministry. Additionally it helps provide some spending money…

No comments: