Thursday, December 31, 2020

Hindsight is 2020

 For my Ugandan family the above title is already a reality. Here in the U.S. we still have a few hours of 2020 left to enjoy of our weirdest year Ev-Ah. 

I suspect the little phrase I've utilized as my title will quickly become quite cliche, as no doubt I am NOT the only one to think of it.

In March of 2020, who knew that we'd all know what that is? 

So much has already been said about 2020. So much has been experienced this year. So much strain has been upon so many. How will 2021 measure up to the hope that multitudes of earth-dwellers are placing upon its shoulders? 

22 x 8 = 176 

When I think about what 2021 might hold and how it may or may not measure up, the above equation is where I place my true hope.

What does it represent? 

It represents a place to look for truth, instruction, encouragement, strength, wisdom, knowledge, warning, guidance and the reason for ultimate peace. And we all need that!!!

Throughout 2020 I was drawn to a specific focus. Many days I read parts of the 22 x 8 =176. It speaks of a love for words that are ultimate Word. I was reminded that there is right and wrong and One who is the author of Truth. That there is a reason to obey and a reward for commitment. I heard daily that there is a Hand ready to help me. That there is One who watches over me, and He never sleeps. I was reminded that despite my struggles and challenges there is One who preserves my life. If I want light and right, I go to the One who is righteous. 

Psalm 119 is 176 verses long, separated into 22 sections of 8 verses each. The words of this Psalm expound a deep love for God's word. It fosters in me a deep love for God's word. And it brings me hope. Hope beyond what I see before me.

I welcome 2021, but not because I'm placing my hope in it and expecting it to obliterate challenges. I welcome it as I stand on and base my life on God and His Truth as my ultimate hope.


This sign, placed at the entrance to New Hope Uganda's secondary school site, is one I painted many years ago. It is to ensure entrance to only those who are supposed to be on the secondary site. It reminds me that moving forward is a gift. We can't move forward with real hope if we are not following the One who authors hope and invites us to move with Him.  (Acts 17:28, "In Him we live and move and have our being.")

My prayer for you is that you accept His invitation to live in His promise of hope.

I will be glad when 2020 is in the rearview mirror, but mostly because I know that whatever the future holds, He holds my future.

No comments: