Saturday, May 27, 2017

One Thing

I had one thing on my list for this morning.  Write a blog.

It is coming to 3 p.m. These are the first words I've written.

I had ONE thing on my list, but others had ME on their list.

There was the friend from the village representing a government mosquito net program. She came in and we shared a drink and news of late after I explained that we didn't need any new nets at this time.

There were two sisters that came laughing and giggling together. I kept them smiling as I gave them my lecture AGAIN on the health benefits of drinking enough water. It was probably about the 59th time they'd heard me spew on the topic, but their smiles betrayed their nodding heads--one of the reasons we were revisiting water consumption was because of their recent health challenges most likely brought on by low water intake.



Fresh bread was delivered at some point this morning. A German family who ministered a few years ago in the nearby town of Luweero taught someone how to make French Baguette, German Muesli, Sweet Breakfast rolls and savory onion loaf. We benefit weekly from her fare.

One of our special needs children is currently struggling to make it through her post-operative recovery in a Kampala hospital so I also engaged in some discussion this morning via text and phone calls on how to manage our concerns and approach the management of her care.

There were the texts from Geoff about a young man he was with who seemed to have an infection  and wanted advice on how to treat the problem.

There was the David Family son who came just to pump his bike tire as he was headed to a job site, but I got confused and thought he was here to sit and talk as well. So, talk we did. Twenty minutes later he informed me that he had simply come to greet and didn't have a lengthy discussion in mind. Oh well, it was nice to chat.



One of the daughters of the family also stopped by to pick up the keys to our neighbors house. The neighbor is visiting our special needs child in Kampala today and this daughter came to help her by hanging up some washing and washing the dishes.



And so goes the day. When it was all quiet again and I began to turn my attention to writing. A few seconds later I got a text from Geoff regarding the youth camp agenda. Seems the culmination of the week, an opportunity for baptism, was happening in the valley dam at that moment. I decided, just as I had throughout the morning, that what was at hand was more important than writing.

I grabbed the camera, called the dog, (she's always looking for a good excuse to wander away from the confines of the compound) put on some shoes and took off down toward the valley.

I arrived just in time to see the first person wade into the water. He was the first of ten!



What a GREAT day! In reflection I see that it doesn't matter that the one thing on my list has taken ten more hours to complete than I had planned.

What matters is the giving of myself, a little here, a little there. At the end of the day I am happier for all the people I've seen and all the experiences I've been a part of, even if it was mostly a matter of moving five or ten feet from where I sat at the computer to welcoming the next visitor at the door.

I also have enjoyed the beautiful flowers Geoff surprised me with! He secretly arranged for someone in Kampala to pick them up and deliver them. They smell gorgeous and I am blessed!
It is now coming to 6 p.m. and Sam, Toby and Acacia are now back home after spending the week at the EYO youth camp.

I am happy for the noise again.

Sometimes this week it was just too quiet.

No comments: