Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Two Weeks

Geoff just finished two VERY NEEDED weeks off.

He had crashed and burned. Something had broken. All was not right.

After a deep, real, "help me" conversation with our director and then the manager, he was "sat down" and told to take two weeks away from the things that had obliterated the Geoff we know.

This desperate state did not suddenly materialize. Since August, when the head of child care had to abruptly leave, he had acted as director of child care--our largest department here at New Hope besides our schools. This on top of his regular position as leader of the Early Adulthood department; a member of the management team; an elder; a mentor, a husband and father. I think there might have been only a handful of nights that did not include emails, phone calls or meetings well beyond supper time. Most nights he was still working diligently on the computer until after 9 p.m. But, even then, he started the next day with left overs. Left over assignments from previous days, left over conversations cut short due to emergent needs and left over pieces of Geoff hanging on to God's hand.

The numerous demands crowded out his ability to keep one-on-one time with the young adults entrusted to his care as part of the early adulthood ministry as well as staff that he usually mentors. This inability to relate on a personal level due to other time constraints was the most life-draining aspect of his packed schedule.

Finally, it became too much, "Something has broken inside of me," he said.

The Saturday evening before his two weeks off began, he read to us at the dining room table as we began our weekly Sabbath. He had randomly marked a chapter in a book we'd been reading together as a family called, "Created for Work," by Bob Schultz. But, God knew the relevancy of that random chapter before we did. As the words tumbled from his tired lips he recognized the words were describing him.  "Have you ever ridden in a car when the timing is off a few degrees? Ka-pow-pow-puh-pow. The whole car shakes, jolts, and sounds like a Fourth of July celebration. Few cars drive very far in that condition. Like engines, sometimes our hearts get out of time. They begin running poorly, leaving us frustrated, discouraged, and sometimes angry. Few of us like to admit we're running rough, even when folks around us clearly hear it. Though it may seem complicated, like repairing an engine seems to me, resetting the timing of our hearts is really quite simple. The standards by which a man tunes his heart is the nature and attributes of God."

These past two weeks have been spent in the garden preparing soil, planting maize and weeding the beans; at home repairing shutters, painting doors, unstopping drains and RESTING. We weren't sure that home, in the middle of New Hope's primary site, would yield real rest and opportunities for prayer and reflection. But, surprisingly Geoff was able to spend a great deal of time praying, studying, listening, and worshiping God.

He left his phone off during the day and our community truly respected that he was not available. He read, he napped, he enjoyed the kids, and the two of us went to Kampala for a night out and some great food.

Toward the end of the leave time Geoff spoke the words we had hoped we'd hear. "I feel hopeful again. I remember what it is like to look forward to work. I am thankful."

And so are we. Toby often was heard these past few months verbalizing his frustration at the demands his Dad faced, and when there were extra meetings or assignments Toby was the first to protest. He is especially happy to see his Dad peaceful again.

Recently, we received two personal letters handwritten by young adults whose lives we are a part of to varying degrees. I truly believe one of the main reasons Geoff was struggling was a direct result of not being able to interact with the young people we are here to minister to. The words in these letters are encouragement that even in the past few months of busy, busy, busy, there has still been an impact of God's truth, love and light in hearts dear to us.

"I have written this letter to thank you for everything you've put in for me to be able to attend Investment Year because I am learning important things which will help me in life. I am really blessed because the challenges I am experiencing during the year (are producing) growth in me, although the year has not ended. The first training spoke to me a lot and my life is changing. I wish that every youth could go through this year and challenges like I am. After the computer training my heart was like, 'I should thank the one(s) who enabled me to attend IY, Thank you so much and may the Lord bless you."

"As I look back at this ended semester, I realize that if it wasn't for God, if it wasn't for your prayers, and encouragement, I wouldn't have made it. Therefore, I want to say thank you for giving me your shoulder to lean on. Thank you for the many things you have sacrificed to see me to where I am today. You have given hope for tomorrow."

And that, my friends, gives us hope for tomorrow.

Geoff returned to the office yesterday without many of the responsibilities he'd carried these past few months. Yes, he is still an elder, still on the management team and remains as the head of the early adulthood ministry; a manageable load. He was home for lunch on time, home from the office on time and thankful for opportunities to speak into the lives of others.

Thanks to those of you who prayed for us during the past few months. We couldn't have survived without God's sustaining hand on us. The blessing of your prayer support is beyond our ability to fully express. THANK YOU.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Praise the Lord, Geoff and Mary! Autum and I have been praying HARD for you and are SO thankful to hear this great news. We are praying that you will be able to maintain good healthy boundaries and rhythms moving forward. I want to echo what those two letter writers said: Thank you. Thank you for being like the keel of a ship for this ministry. Interesting thing about a keel: it's completely under water and is never seen by onlookers - but it is known and valued by the Captain, and it's His opinion that matters. I'm sure you've felt like you were under water much of the last year. I'm praying that you have a season of breathing now.

Thank you for taking up your cross daily and following Jesus.

Greg Benno said...

I am so happy to hear this update! Geoff can accomplish more in 6 days then he can in 7. : )
Rest is not a good idea - it's His good gift to Geoff and I'm so glad that he received it during these 2 weeks!
Love you guys!

Britton Family said...

Thank you Josiah, Autum, And Greg!!! You all are important to us and knowing your prayers are active strengthens us. We value your part in our lives even thousands of miles apart.