Friday, May 15, 2015

This Definitely Qualifies!

Ever had a situation so unusual you don't know how to label it? Pretty much sums up the culmination of events experienced this morning! Mine started with a poor decision--but I had no way of knowing how very poor it was . . .

We have been away at Musana Camps this week. We returned yesterday afternoon. Suitcases  and backpacks were unpacked and contents completely filled the laundry baskets to overflowing.

No worries. Aunt "T" was scheduled to come to our rescue today. She washes laundry for us.

She arrived on time and began to work. A few minutes after starting her work she informed me that her sister was in the hospital and she needed to go see her. I asked when she might need to go and she answered, "Oh, any time."

It didn't sound urgent to me, so I just gave her a bit lighter work load so she could leave a little earlier today.

She worked for 2 1/2 hours and we took a break. During tea and bananas she received the call that her sister had passed away. I ran to the porch to console her and pray. I informed her that I would take her to the hospital to be with her family.  She finished her tea, informed a friend of the news and we began our journey.

I was feeling horrible for my now obvious POOR decision to not urge her to abandon the work we had for her and instead go to the hospital to be by her sister's side!

I had some money in my pocket to give her once we got to the hospital. Body transport is the responsibility of the deceased's family. Once I gave my condolences to the mother, son and others I planned to give the money to help with the transport later in the day.

We arrived at the women's ward and I properly greeted the mother and gave her my heartfelt sorrow for her loss. I prayed with her and wept with her. Then I turned to the son of Aunt "T" who received me and then insisted that I accompany him to the bedside to view the body.

Oh, the thoughts that ran through my mind as we slowly walked past the host of onlookers. "They are all looking at me. Fine. I've been through that a million times. But, I AM GOING TO VIEW A BODY. WHAT DO I DO AT THE BEDSIDE IN THIS CULTURE??? LORD BE WITH ME!"

We rounded the corner and he marched me directly up past the nurses at the bedside and stood me near the head of the bed. Then he told me, "Aunt, This is my mother."

I was shocked. Then I realized the truth that Aunt "T" is actually his maternal aunt, not his mother.

His eyes brimmed with tears but he was not sobbing or wailing. He simply stated the fact. I asked if I could pray for him. He agreed, but I sure felt that my words fell short. I trust my God, however, to give him what he needs and I prayed that this young man would know God as Father. I looked again to the woman. My eyes played a trick on me as I thought I saw her abdomen slightly rise and fall with a breath. "No way," I argued with myself. I looked for awhile longer and saw no more movement.

We finished praying and I stood there with my hand on his shoulder.

Suddenly, I was drawn out of my intense focus on the son and the overwhelming nature of the moment and I heard the beeping that had been there all along. I looked over and saw the blood pressure machine registering 90s over 60s and the oxygen saturation machine getting readings in the 80s.

I breathed deep. "Excuse me," I queried the nurses, "this woman doesn't seem to be dead."

A smile broke out on the face of one. "No," we are currently working on her, she is not dead."

"Are you going to tell the family that? They believe she is dead!"

I turned to the son, "Your mother is not dead! Look, she is breathing!"

He looked in anger at the nurses and spewed something I didn't understand in Luganda.

I took him out to tell his grandmother and Aunt "T".

You would have thought I raised the woman from the dead myself! Everyone who had stared at me earlier now stared again, but with big smiles on their faces. I rejoiced with them and prayed and then excused myself.

Apparently, another visitor had gone in and wrongly assessed the situation for himself. Without asking any staff for confirmation, he decided the woman was dead and announced such to everyone.

I have to admit the whole scene was surreal. From deepest sorrow to elation in a matter of minutes. Whew!

So, my morning began with a poor decision, but parlayed into me being present and part of what turned into a joyful time.

Yes, the events of my morning definitely qualify as an extreme and rare experience. I'm still catching my breath when I think back on it!

The woman has 10 children, all from different fathers. The oldest is the son I interacted with at the bedside. The youngest is two months. The woman has a chronic liver disease is all I have been told. Please pray for her life, her children and for her salvation.

No comments: