Thursday, February 13, 2014

Two very special days

Yesterday was a special day around here! It only happens twice a year and there is an all-out effort to make the day worth its every moment.  I invited three important people to celebrate it with me. Aziza arrived at about 8:30, Nabukeera arrived a little closer to 9 a.m. and by the time Aunt Jessica arrived at 9:30 the festivities were well underway!!! The table was already a sea of dishes, pots and pans, cook books and kitchen utensils. The living room quickly thereafter filled with assorted items and the doors stood wide open for ease of moving in and out.   I'm sure you're anxious to know the momentous occasion?? Deroaching Day!!! My original plan was to clean out over the holidays when the pace of life around here was much slower and afforded the time for such an event. But, being as sick as I was in December and early January, there was no way for me to complete the task. Thus, by yesterday, the need to kill those pesky creatures was long overdue and took 6 cans of "Doom" to ensure success. What is "Doom"? you ask??? It is the African equivalent of RAID! I didn't bother to put on perfume yesterday, I wore Doom. The kids at the family group last night asked if I was sick because my throat was so scratchy from breathing in Doom all day. But, it was worth it. The only roaches I've seen since we finished at 4:30 p.m. yesterday are slow moving, "Doom-drunk", and dead. Hallelujah!!!



Nabukeera kept us laughing throughout the adventure. Here she peeks up over the cupboard to let Aziza capture her image for this blog post!

L to R Nabukeera, Aziza and Aunt Jessica

There is no place we leave untouched! Both high and low places must be scrubbed!
That was yesterday, Wednesday. So, here it is Thursday. A day I'm scheduled to hide in the banda and write. And here is another schedule rearranger slapping my set plan--my house help is not coming today--second day this week she is not able. It's a bit frustrating to be honest. I decided back in October that just six hours a week was not too much to ask of a week's worth of life's demands, but apparently I was greedy. The amount of days I've spent in the banda writing are definitely less than those I've spent doing what gets thrown at me due to life's circumstances.   So, off to school the kids will go and back into the kitchen I will go to wash dishes and start preparing lunch. Most assuredly required will be worship music and unceasing prayer at the kitchen sink!

In the past seven days, not only did we hold our bi-annual deroaching ceremony, but the cistern also needed deep cleaning! It's been a few days of extra work around here! I'm thankful that while doing these necessary extra jobs we were with kids we love and enjoy!
the sludge. This is what was living in the bottom of our cistern. Last Saturday morning was spent cleaning it out and preparing the cistern for the rains that should be soon in coming. The gutters are 85% finished--only lacking the down spouts.  The finishing touches should go up today or tomorrow.
The kids had fun climbing down into the cistern, scrubbing, hauling up buckets of muck and then bleaching the floor and walls.







And in other news . . .
morning hair is done best by Kevin

"Where's Toby?" He hid one day and the other boys couldn't find him.  Do you see him?

After the cistern clean-out, the kids made a car in the base of one of the banana groupings.  Yesterday they painted their license plate and made a sign for the "Britton's Taxi Service".  All the neighbor kids took turns driving and riding and the afternoon was filled with variations on accelerating and decelerating engine noises, "horns" honking and screeching brakes.


Monday is Geoff's birthday (45!!!) and he and I will spend two nights in Kampala while the kids enjoy the oversight of Auntie Hannah! It should be a fun weekend for all of us!!

Blessings to you and yours. Thanks for your prayers, financial support and love for us.

Mary



No comments: