Saturday, August 31, 2013

Winding up treatments


It has been some time since I last wrote, I feel like my brain was put into sleep mode from all the chemo...The good news is that I now feel that I am fully recovering.  My energy levels are picking up daily and I am starting to feel I am regaining my mental abilities, not that they have ever been very strong :-) 

First as an update on my medical condition, we are very excited that we are in the final stages of this season.  Yesterday I had one of my final medical appointments with the oncologist.  Basically all I have remaining is to remove the port from my chest and do take one last look at my stomach from the inside to give us a picture of the end result of the treatments.  All this should be done next week.  We then will have one last appointment with the oncologist to lay out what he sees as follow up that we will be doing upon our return to Uganda.  

We praise God that He has preserved me through out this journey and revealed Himself to me in a fantastic way.  I am fully confident that He is my healer and the reason we have experienced such a quick and powerful recovery from cancer.  As my oncologist said, you just don’t see things happen this way very often.  Yesterday we were thanking him for the treatment and care I received and he again alluded to our situation being unusual.  He said “in our business we often only see the difficult outcomes, the disappointments.  But cases like yours, the Geoff Brittons of the business we will hold on to.”  WOW!  Praise God for showing His mighty power.  As a part of our thank you we put together a gift basket for him.  In it we put a number of things, bottle of wine, gift certificate for a restaurant, some Ugandan crafts and included the book “The Long Road To Hope” which is the story of God working at New Hope.  We continue to believe that in all areas of our lives, even cancer God will use for for His glory.  Especially the testimony to our doctor.  In the card I wrote him I included my opinions of how God often uses people in many different ways, and the fact that God was using him in peoples lives, including ours.  Mary also baked 2 huge plates of goodies for the office staff including croissants, cookies, muffins and scones.  The staff was blessed by her talents in the kitchen, again Praise God!

Things continue to be on course for our return October 12th to Uganda.  We are excited but also feeling the usual pressure of needing to prepare.  Added on this time is the fact that we need to return all this furniture people have so graciously lent or given us and clean the house for hand over to the landlord.  Keep us in prayer as we want to finish 2 more weeks of school with the kids before a vacation in September and then a visit from my parents.  The past 5 months has flown by, kind of hard to believe but we are ready for the next season.

No comments: