Thursday, December 9, 2010

Have you ever...?

It's a good question, Have you ever...? Fill in the blank.

I was blessed to officiate one of our family Sundays here in Kasana. We turn our regular Sunday morning church service into a celebration of family and all that surrounds family. We had baby dedications, prayed for pregnant women, (currently New Hope has no less than 7) and even celebrated a wedding for a couple who were "village" married ten years ago, but had never made a covenant in the church. After the service we finished the day with a big meal for all. But for me (Geoff) it wasn't over yet...I was invited as a special guest at a village school about 10 miles away for their end of year program. It was good though the car I was using would not start and I had to quickly borrow another to get us there. Toby went with me as well as one of our sons from the family group. The meeting was filled with speeches, songs and dancing. The funny thing was as I was excusing myself to come home at 6pm the host insisted that I stay a bit longer so they could serve me some "lunch". Yes you heard me correctly, lunch at 6pm.

A few days earlier I had gone into Kampala with our mini-bus for some new tires and repairs, and servicing those type of things. My goal was to be home by 6 when we were having dinner with a special friend. The ladies were preparing enchiladas, Mmmmmm. One of my favorites. Well, as things usually go here in Africa, we actually didn't leave Kampala until 8:30 only to have the bus break down in a very sketchy neighborhood. So at 9pm we were trying to get a mechanic so we could get the bus home. I was trying to not be noticed too much as being the only white guy in a neighborhood like that after dark is not always safe. We finally reached home after midnight with me having to drive the bus 20km down the dirt road after dropping the driver off at his home. Needless to say I missed out on the meal, thanks anyway Monique.

You never know what might happen in the course of the day here in Uganda, I think that is one of the things I like so much about living and doing minstry here.

No comments: