Friday, June 18, 2010

Two things I'll never do . . .

Geoff and I went to Malibu and Pepperdine today to meet with Greg Porter of the Waves of Service office and with Heidi Bernard in the Crest Associates office. They are both alums of Pepperdine, having graduated near the year that I did. Greg's office focuses on the activities of alumni who are involved in service/non-profit organizations--connecting them and assisting them in a variety of ways. Heidi interacts with the Malibu community quite a bit in the course of her job and has been a great supporter of our work in Uganda at New Hope. It was great to revisit my ole stomping grounds and see some familiar faces.

On the way home I saw a billboard advertising "sweet tea" at McDonald's for only a dollar. My first thought--"can McD's really pull off GEN-U-INE sweet tea????" My next thought--for $1-probably not. I think I'll stay with sweet tea made by the experts--Texans and the like.

McD's "sweet tea" is #1 of the two things I won't do.

What's #2? Well, first let me remind all of us (as IF we need more reminders) that we are all getting older. It was great seeing former classmates today--we all look the same for the most part, but a few more wrinkles were present . . . alas, which leads me to the next thing I'll never do . . . I will NEVER wear the clothing label SAG HARBOR!!!!!!! I can't believe that someone actually decided that it was a good idea to name a clothing line--targeted at middle-aged women no less--SAG HARBOR! WHAT were they thinking?? WERE they thinking??? What was the discussion around the corporate table??? Was there someone in the room silently laughing to themselves and keeping quiet while the rest of them chose such a ridiculous name???

This poor choice of words reminds me of something else from my past. When I worked at Pepperdine University all those years ago and we put out a quarterly magazine highlighting the activites of the churches of Christ, there was a submission for the news section regarding a retreat. Part of the posting read, "Big Women's Retreat". So . . . is that a BIG retreat for women or a retreat for BIG women????? :0

Those are all my random thoughts for today . . . enjoy.

3 comments:

Glenda said...

Love your post today! You should start a list of dumb names for products!! I bet you would find a lot more. "Sag Harbor" still makes me laugh!!

Amy said...

Lol to the big women's retreat!

McDonalds sweet tea is actually good! Well, the kids love it but it's too sweat for me.

I thought the same thing about Sag Harbor years ago until we actually moved to the Hamptons and Sag Harbor is, apparently, a very rich and well to do area so I guess that's what they were going for! Doesn't mean it's not funny though!

Britton Family said...

Actually, I know that Sag Harbor is a beautiful and expensive place to live, but let's leave it at that! No more aging reminders on my clothing labels, please!