Monday, May 3, 2010

See's OLD Time Candies

We had a great surprise today when we received a package!!!!!!! We knew my mom had sent one in February and have been anticipating it's arrival. We got a call this a.m. that one had come and was waiting for us at another missionary's house. We had to wait until after lunch to get it, so the anticipation was GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

The kids arrived back at the house and excitement mounted as Toby cut open the box. I first saw Christmas wrapping paper with distinctive design - - - SEE'S CANDIES!!!!! But, Christmas???? Then I saw a box in more Christmas wrap from my sister's family, a Christmas letter, magazines from the holidays . . . Geoff meanwhile was trying to find the date the box was sent and when he found it he exclaimed, "December 16th!!!!!!!!!!!!! This thing was mailed December 16th!!!!"

Of course all the attention immediately went to the CHOCOLATES!!!! I opened the box and found melted, re-hardened pieces AND a bug. Just as Toby and Acacia, salivating, were reaching for a piece I said, "Wait! There is a bug!" Toby replied, "Oh well, it's only just one!" Acacia cut in, "Yeah, and besides, we've eaten dirt before!" And there you have it, the desperation for good chocolate trumps bugs, staleness, melted and re-hardened state and down the hatch it went! YUM YUM!!!!!

And, yes, I ate some. Not quite the SEES I remember, but CHOCOLATE!


Our experience gives new meaning to "SEE'S Famous OLD Time Candies"
Meanwhile, the cat was catching a treat of his own . . . notice the half-dead lizard in the lower right of the picture. Now that's a YUM YUM of a different sort . . .
Addendum-----another box just arrived on the back of a friend's bicycle. They picked it up in Luwero for us. It had magazines, pictures and books. It arrived "early" as it wasn't even mailed until, February 10th! Can you imagine the speed with which it flew??????? Unbelievable!

1 comment:

Glenda said...

What a great surprise!! The speed of your mail never ceases to amaze me. I remember you sent my bday gift for September in June and I got it right before Thanksgiving!! :)
Glad the kids enjoyed their candy if if it did have bugs in it!! HA HA!